Friday, January 13, 2012

My Favorite Things



I love the catchy-ness of the phrase "journeyings without murmurings." There's so much to be learned from those three words. The phrase comes from the Book of Mormon when Nephi and his family are traveling through the wilderness. Nephi records, "We did travel and wade through much affliction in the wilderness; and our women did bear children in the wilderness." Yet, despite all the hardships and all there was to complain about, Nephi writes, "And so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we did live upon raw meat in the wilderness, our women did give plenty of suck for their children, and were strong, yea, even like unto the men; and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings" (1 Nephi 17:1-2). I love this attitude of recognizing the good and focusing on the blessings rather than the trials. Sometimes life is hard. Sometimes we go through days...weeks...months...years...just waiting. 

"Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow."
(Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You'll Go!)

I HATE WAITING!!! President Gordon B. Hinckley taught, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." I love this statement. What good does it do you to endure??? You aren't getting anything out of it, your neighbor isn't getting anything out of it, your family isn't getting anything out of it, your friends aren't getting anything out of it. (Because you can't serve others when you're in the endure mode!) You're just enduring, waiting for it to end. Life is to be enjoyed! I find that when my heart is full of gratitude I enjoy life the most. Or is it that when I'm enjoying life the most, my heart is full of gratitude? Enjoy life, feel gratitude. Feel gratitude, enjoy life. Either way, you get to be happy :) 

That's basically what this blog is dedicated to. Reminding myself and others the importance of gratitude. Focusing on the good. Noticing the simple joys of life. Journeying without murmuring. Showing how life can be enjoyed and not just endured. Sharing more quotes and more songs and more videos about why life is soooo good. Because there are so many reasons to be grateful and I have so many favorite things.

1 comment: