Monday, January 16, 2012

helping the medicine go down


nutella :)

Need I say more? Not really, but I will anyway. 

When I left home and moved to college, I promised myself I could always have two things: my own box of Life cereal and my very own jar of nutella. Unfortunately, my childhood lacked sufficient supplies of these two most wonderful food items. Never again, I told myself, would I have to go through life without them in my cupboard. And so far, I have never been without.

Why this need for a constant supply of nutella? Simply because nutella is the taste of love. And everyone knows how important love is in life. Nutella is perfect for any occasion. Before class, after class, before work, after work, before studying, after studying, while studying, before taking a test, after taking a test, lonely Friday nights, lonely any nights. Nutella is a perfect celebration food as well as a perfect comfort food. Basically, nutella is perfect. 

A Few Nutella Memories:
1) The above picture of twelve lovely jars of Nutella comes from a church history tour I went on the summer before starting college. We stopped for lunch at a huge mall in Boston. This is what I ate:
I bought them from the place with the lovely arrangement of  Nutella jars. Probably the best thing I ate the entire trip. I felt so French :) And it was sooooooo good.


2) Freshman year. Fall semester. American Heritage. Taylor McComb. Nutella party!
American Heritage, for me, was not one of those simple joys in life. I found the class long, boring, and difficult. Yet one thing--or person, rather--made class endurable: Taylor McComb, adopted roommate of Tingey 224. She helped me stay awake even if she didn't help me pay attention. One day, we decided to bring our Nutella with us to class and had a little nutella party as we sat listening to the lecture. That was definitely the best American Heritage class of the semester!
I love Taylor! And we both love Nutella!


3) The day I discovered I could eat plain nutella on a spoon. 
I don't know why it took me so long to realize this seemingly obvious possibility. I knew nutella was delicious on crepes, bread, animal crackers, graham crackers, bananas, etc., but it wasn't until last winter semester that I realized, Hey! I can just eat this on a spoon! Who needs bread or crackers or fruit? I can just eat it plain! That moment changed my life. I still enjoy putting my nutella on bread, bananas, etc., but what a comfort to know I can always just pull out a spoon and enjoy a spoonful of nutella.

No comments:

Post a Comment