Thursday, October 19, 2017

Music for a Sleepless Night

Have you ever experienced a sleepless night? The kind where emotions are so strong and ugly that sleep flees and hides really well? And the harder you try to tempt it back, the more stubbornly it hides. And sometimes an entire series of these nights makes you wonder why you even try to sleep when the sun goes down, even though logically that’s when sleep should feel the most natural.

I wish I could say I’d never met a night like that. But, unfortunately, those nights are way too common in my life. A few years ago, while sleeping in a private room (for the price of a shared, because Provo summers are the BEST), I remember turning to YouTube on my sleepless nights and listening to the same one or two songs until I started to feel at peace and able to fall asleep. I don’t do that very often any more, but last night I returned to a few old favorites and again found peace as I listened to each song multiple times.

I’m grateful for beautiful, uplifting music. I’m grateful for the combination of hope-inspiring lyrics and soul-soothing harmony. Today, particularly, I’m grateful for the incredible Mormon Tabernacle Choir and for the ability to feel God’s love and reassurance as I listen to their music. And, as much as I often hate the effect smartphones are having on society, I’m grateful for my phone, YouTube, and data which allowed me to listen to these recordings in the middle of the night.

For anyone feeling weary or struggling to hold on, here’s two songs that brought me peace on my sleepless night. I hope you can find peace and courage in them, too.


If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not



Hold On, from The Secret Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment