Monday, December 10, 2012

December 3

Yesterday we had stake conference which was wonderful. It was fun because I got to see a few people from Eastbourne. I wish they had all been there, but it was so fun to see the few who were. I also talked to a missionary in my zone named Elder Martin and found out he is from Heber! So I asked if he knows the Hickens and he said, The Hickens? like THE Hickens who practically own Heber? or something like that :) he knows all the Hicken boys and I felt so proud to say that I'm a Hicken. That made me happy. I also have connections to Elder Holland and Mit Romney here at the visitors' centre that I should tell you about.
The Carpenters, as you know, are the directors of the visitors' centre. I found out a few weeks ago that Mit Romney is Sister Carpenter's cousin. So they were very disappointed about the election.
The Terrys are another senior couple at the visitors' centre. They are soooo wonderful. I hope you get to meet all these wonderful people some day. Elder Terry's sister is Elder Holland's wife, Patricia Terry --and apparently she taught him everything he knows :) They often talk about 'Jeff' and tell us sometimes about that family.
This has been an exciting week with lots happening. But being a missionary is sure exhausting. I know I'm supposed to enjoy the moments because they disappear so fast, but I honestly feel like there isn't even time. I enjoy moments, but not like I did in Provo. Because there is always the feeling that I'm a missionary and I need to be making the most of this time I've been given so don't stop and enjoy too much because you've got to keep working and doing stuff! and I'm always worried about the next transfer, which I know is stupid and I shouldn't worry about it, but I do because that unknown is scary. Future trials are scary. So maybe pray for me to have more faith and more courage to love. Because sometimes loving people scares me too because I know that eventually I'll just have to leave them too. I don't like pain. But I guess I should take a line from the brilliant Flint Lockwood, "It's okay...it's just pain." haha ya.
We had a lighting ceremony at the temple last night to turn on our Christmas lights. It's not quite temple square, but it's beautiful in its own way. We had a nice little program and I think angels must have been helping with the music because everyone said it was good but there's no way it was because it was soooooo cold. We had the program outside because there were so many people. I played the piano for the soloist. The songs were kind of hard, but with practice I got them down and it sounded so lovely when we practiced inside before the performance. But then I had to play on this dinky, short keyboard in the freeeezing cold. literally. I'm sure it was below freezing. by the end of the first two pieces my fingers started to hurt so bad and then I just kind of lost feeling. And the amps were weird so I couldn't really hear myself playing, but apparently everyone else could hear. I never want that experience again! But I guess it makes a pretty good story. and like I said, I think there must have been angels helping out because everyone said it was lovely.
Our tree in the visitors' centre is sooo beautiful. I'll need to send you some pictures. It's so exciting that it's Christmas time. I just set up a little tree in our flat as well. Yay for Christmas! and yay for skype....
I hope things are going well for you all. Remember I still love letters :)
I love you!
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment